Tuesday 5 June 2012

Pain, Ink, and Inspiration (Or “Jeannie Gets a Tattoo and Lives to Tell About It”)

So, I got a tattoo today. Really, nbd. Just kidding, it’s a HUGE deal! 


I’ve been thinking about getting one for the last 20 years or so but was never certain about what I’d get or where I’d get it. I’m really glad I waited because if I had gotten one at 19 I’d be stuck with a floral tramp stamp, I’m almost sure of it. So I approached getting a tattoo much like I approach most things, I wanted something that made me happy and something I could look at every day and be proud of. Basically, I just wanted to really feel like getting this would make it a part of who I am and what’s important to me. What’s important to me? My family, my kids, especially, books, the written word, creativity and fun. I wanted never to lose myself in what society thinks of me, whether it’s a career path I’ve taken or whether someone has labelled me “Mom” or “wife” or “geek,” I want a reflection of who I am to be evident in everything I do, essentially, make my life an inspiration of things that are important to me. I want to inspire. Inspire my kids to be good, kind sould, I want to inspire strangers to be courteous and thoughtful and I want to inspire... SHUT UP JEANNIE.

Really, people just want to know one thing: HOW BAD DID IT HURT?!

Well lets start from the beginning. In the beginning there was a really nice tattoo parlour that looked more like a fancy day spa to me:

Adults only? Really? I'm terribly glad no children will be tattooing me.

Loved all the original art of the artists


The back room doubles as an art gallery and party central. There was even a ping pong table!

No seriously I didn’t know if I was supposed to tip the shampoo girl or not. Aside from the pleasant surroundings, the cleaner-than-clean surfaces (believe me, I checked) and the super friendly artists, I was still volunteering to have a needle stuck in me repeatedly.

There it is. The Needle. *shudders*
Meet my artist, his name is Nako. It’s pronounced like “taco” but with an “n”. That’s how I had to think to remember his name otherwise reading the letters across his inked knuckles I would have called him “NAKE-O” and I would have been wrong.

That's Nako. Rhymes with "taco" not uh...make...o.
Nako spent more time designing my tattoo than actually inking it on me. Although in the throes of being stabbed repeatedly by a needle you really don’t know how to measure time, even if your tattoo experience lasted only two songs on the radio (Gives T the side eyes). Which I wasn’t sure of since they were listening to a death metal mix of music with no commercial interruptions. 


But here’s the flashing transfer on my wrist. The inside of my wrist. Where those protruding tendons are. Where you can see the pitter patter of my pulse point because the skin there is thin thin thin. Yes, one of the most painful places to get tattooed and there’s where I go for:

Transferring the original design Nako created.
Look! Wow that was truly painless! What do you mean it's not done? Oh.
Of all the pics I’ve ever taken, I’m oddly proud of this one because, as you can see, I’m taking a picture of myself getting tattooed. Thems skills, kids.

OH THE PAIN! In action.
And then the grand finale. To Nako’s credit he spent a great deal of time talking to me about how he got started tattooing (he and his cousins “punching holes in each other and it all looking pretty much like crap” -- he was 13) and how long he’s been doing it (over 10 years now). You can definitely tell he takes his art seriously and because of the nature of my own tattoo we talked extensively about what inspires us. He was a great guy to just chat with, nevermind the torture device he yielded in his hands.

I did it! And I love it. Don't you dare tell me it's "upside down" it's my tat,  I want to see it "right side up."
So did it hurt? Yes. Was it unbearably painful? Hardly, but I didn’t think childbirth was painful either (thank YOU, epidural!). I actually can’t remember when I’ve been in “I think I’m gonna pass out” pain. Although it’s entirely possible I have an impossibly high pain threshold, still, it was a great experience. And I’ll leave you with some advice my good (tattooed) friend Eric gave me, “In about a day, you’ll want to get another one. Don’t fight it.” Words to live by.



Small input from T and her own tattooing experience or "I'm going to go ahead and take some credit for Jeannie getting her Ink":

Back in March, when I was visiting Jeannie, I decided to get my second tattoo. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision that we had actually already talked about before my visit and I had the design in my head for a while but didn't know a tattoo parlor in San Jose.

So, on one rainy Saturday afternoon in California we ended up going to Death Before Dishonor Tattoo, a place that got pretty good Yelp reviews. (and where Jeannie actually planned on going to -- side note from Jeannie: it rained like a mofo today too. Coincidence? Possibly or...it could just be that where some people want to curl up on a rainy day with a mug of hot cocoa and a good book, we just like to get tattooed -- true story)

pretty pictures in the hallway
Since I didn't have an appointment we had to wait a short time for one of the artists to become available and after explaining what I wanted, he drew up my design and we were ready for some tattooing action.

I'm usually really afraid of needles and end up fainting when I got pierced or when I got my first ink. But surprisingly enough Jeannie was more nervous than me (Jeannie: I thought I was going to pass out seeing T laid out on that table with her foot getting inked). I just kept sitting on the bench, singing along to the songs on the radio, while she kept saying "I can't believe how calm you are". In the end, the whole tattoo process only took like 2 songs on the radio (and barely ANY pain) and we were ready to go. 

This was before she decided for herself that she wanted to get her own tattoo. I do think coming along with me and sitting in the room with me helped calm her down (Jeannie: It TOTALLY DID). And, after talking about it for 2 months, she now has some ink of her own. (and is already talking about other designs!)

Chris, my tattoo artist
in action.
the finished product


0 comments:

Post a Comment