Sunday 8 July 2012

Movie Review: The Amazing Spider-Man (aka: Girls Like Superhero Movies Too)


Peter Parker finds a clue that might help him understand why his parents disappeared when he was young. His path puts him on a collision course with Dr. Curt Connors, his father's former partner.


I've been a fan of the original Spider-Man movies when I was a teen so of course I was skeptical when the remake was announced not even 10 years after the first movie with Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker and Kirsten Dunst as MJ Watson was released. Da fuq, Hollywood?


Then I heard about the casting and saw the first set pics. Don't get me wrong, I adore Emma Stone and she can't do anything wrong in my eyes and I'm definitely a fan of Andrew Garfield since seeing the light back in 2010 (I'm still blaming the hair tho) but I wasn't convinced this could work. (Jeannie's Note: I take full credit for T "seeing the light" on Andrew Garfield, btw.)


Then San Diego Comic Con 2011 happened. 


Hall H. Spider-Man panel. Emma Stone and director Marc Webb on stage waiting to start, when some random guy in the audience, dressed as Spidey, gets up and starts talking about what Spider-Man means to him and how he grew up reading Spider-Man comics. Turns out that this guy was Andrew Garfield, Spider-Man himself (watch vid here) (JN: that vid STILL makes me weepy when I watch it)


This moment was the selling point for me.


And then there was the trailer (see below)

The actual movie exceeded my expectations. I ended up going to the only English screening my cinema offered which I'm really happy about. People from non-English speaking countries will agree with me on how the voice-overs will ruin witty dialogues. 


The movie starts with Peter as a child and the night his parents disappeared and left him with his aunt May and uncle Ben. Years after his parents disappeared, Peter finds his dad's old briefcase and from there, he uncovers secrets about his dad he never knew, including information to help him track down an old colleague of his father's, Dr. Curt Connors, played by Rhys Ifans. Although this is similar to how the  first movie plays out, the story takes a decidedly different twist not only in the plot, but in the way Andrew Garfield plays this Peter Parker.



Much like in the comics, this Peter Parker is a brainiac nerd who is bullied in school and becomes the tragic hero we all know and love. "With great power, comes great responsibility," even though these words were never explicitly spoken in the movie, the theme is ever-present. Another way this Spiderman story deviates from the first movies is the appearance of Gwen Stacy, played wonderfully by Emma Stone. Those familiar with the Spidey timeline knows that Gwen is actually Peter's first love and arguably his greatest love. Gwen is no damsel in distress, in fact, holding her own against the big bad in this movie and truly doing her part. (Gwen is one damn smart cookie) Their chemistry is off-the-charts believable and really added an enhancement to the movie neither of us expected. For lack of a better way to say it, we are Team Stonefield. <--- T doesn't like couple names but it is what it is. :)


Though it is a very "sad" movie I (and the rest of the cinema) laughed a lot. There was one scene after Peter first was bitten that had me chuckling for 10 straight minutes. 


Overall, we both loved the movie and days after seeing it are still dealing with all the FEELINGS. 


Recently it has been announced that a sequel is planned to be released in 2014 as well as one additional movie. We will be looking forward to this.


watch the trailer

0 comments:

Post a Comment